History of orthoptics
The practice of orthoptics dates back to the late 19th century, where it was described by French ophthalmologist, Louis Emile Javal, in his writings.
The first orthoptist was Miss Mary Maddox who commenced orthoptic practice in London in the early 1920s following training by her ophthalmologist father, Ernest E. Maddox.
In 1928, the first hospital clinic in orthoptics opened at the Royal Westminster Hospital in London. Australia followed soon after, establishing its first hospital clinic at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne in 1931.
Since 1931 orthoptists role within eye health care has expanded significantly with orthoptists working in many diverse areas.